Welcome to my home on the internet. My name is Melissa, and I will be your tour guide through mab-creative. This space is where I offer my freelance services in copy editing and proofreading. I also happen to write, both technical and creative writing. In the blog, you will find posts about writing and editing; advice I have found useful over the years, what I have learned as a writer and as an editor, and some lighthearted entertainment for when you drop in.
If you are looking for a copy editor or a proofreader, then congratulations! That means you’ve finished or are close to finishing your novel—well done. You’ve put so much thought, time, and effort into creating that story, and now it’s time to polish it up for publication.
Let me tell you a little more about my background and credentials, to give you a sense of who you’ll be working with (other than a giant book nerd who’s really, really passionate about publishing and helping authors).
- Proofreader and Copywriter at Brella Productions (current)
- Editor-in-Chief of Reconstructed, Governors State University’s Literary and Visual Arts Journal (2015)
- Writing Fellow (TA) for Writing Across the Curriculum; academic paper evaluation, developmental editing, ESL student experience, undergraduate and graduate courses (2014–2015)
- Editorial Assistant Internship at Weaving Dreams Publishing (2011–2012)
- Master’s Certification in Publishing and Editing from the Denver Publishing Institute; University of Denver
- B.A. in English from Governors State University
- Poynter ACES Certificate in Editing from Poynter News University
- ACES: The Society for Editing
Materials edited and proofread professionally:
- Interactive PDFs
- Programs, brochures, handbooks
- Blogs, white papers, marketing campaign materials
- Learning modules
- Creative briefs
- Website copy
In my day job, I perform copy edits and proofread for educational publishers, pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, and in-house marketing. On paper, that may sound a little dry, but I really love proofreading and editing (to a ridiculous degree), and I find it fun and challenging. I have found a way to make a career out of what I love doing, and what I’m good at, and I want to do that for my first great love—books. Authors. The publishing industry. I have the experience, the eagle eye, and the passion for editing your next book, and I am excited to work together.
Thank you for coming by. If you have any questions my website has not yet answered, please drop me a note. We can chat about what you’re looking for, you can tell me what you’re currently reading (I do love a good book gushing session), and we can get to know each other better.